Thursday, May 5, 2011

it all boils down to this.

doesn’t it always though?

after weeks and weeks of training and spending my days running my little butt off, I’m less than 48 hours away from my first 1/2 marathon.

every step I take after 10 miles will be a PDR (personal distance record) for me.
exciting yes!
it also makes me nervous.

I remember how I felt at mile 10.
I remember how dead my legs were coming up that hill for the last mile.
I remember how whipped I was when I made it back home.
I remember how much I hated that head wind on my final 5 miles.
I remember taking a nice long nap that same afternoon.

that’s why I’m nervous.

when I was doing my 10 miles I thought “I could do 3 more miles. hell, its only 3.1…I’ve already done 10.”
I still feel that way to a point.

I find myself thinking about it or talking about it gives me giant nerves.
I wouldn’t say I lose sleep, but if I start thinking about the different elements and what I would do IF its doing this or IF its doing that I find myself anxious.
so I just don’t think about it.

I’m sure its very normal to get anxious.
I always did before a volleyball or soccer game in high school. same with ski races when I was littler.
its normal. it’s a-ok.

I know as soon as I hit that 0.01 mile marker I’ll be fine.
I hope I won’t be thinking about the other 13.09 miles I have left to go.
I’ll be focusing on my breathing, my stride, my aches and pains (just to make sure nothing is new and I’m doing what I can to make sure I’m not making them worse), my music.

I don’t know what I’m looking more forward to. starting the race or finishing the race.
to feel those emotions? to finish a 1/2 marathon? incredible.

I finished my last running day yesterday. 2 easy miles. I can’t believe I can say this, but my 2 easy miles were actually at a 9:00 minute/mile pace.
I remember when I first started my running journey. I could barely keep pace at 9:00. I’ve made some giant leaps forward.

these next two days (today and tomorrow) are rest days. I’ll stretch and foam roll tomorrow to avoid any lazy muscles.
I’ll carb load tomorrow.
I’ll hydrate tomorrow.
I have MOST of my gear rounded up and ready, but will double check tomorrow night.

I’m planning on getting some good rest tonight, and hope I can get a decent amount of hours in tomorrow night too.

to say the least right now, I’m excited, anxious, nervous!

0 comments:

Post a Comment