Saturday, December 3, 2011

winter sun 10k

thankfully last night we safely made it to moab, ut.

again the dogs were good for a few laughs….or maybe it was just more funny because we had been stuck in the car for so long.



apparently sister was okay with laying on brother….and brother was okay with this.

we got to the “expo.” it was so quiet. not a normal race thing. seems to be more of a locals race.

but we picked up our race swag and headed off to dinner to carb up. I had been snaking the whole car ride….so somehow didn’t eat much dinner.

back at the hotel I made sure to have all my gear lined out and ready to go before the next morning.


I managed to remember everything important…I think that whole gym bag idea really helped.


“stick” you are suppose to be my friend. stupid IT band.

we all crashed. no alarms were set. no one really had a plan for the AM. but knowing my parents I knew they would be up before the sun.

Hubby rolled over and told me it was 0630. I laid there for another 30 minutes then crawled out of bed and slowing got ready.

Hubby didn’t want to wear his socks…he thought he’d look like a fool.


yes, you look like a fool…but you won’t be the only one.

we didn’t really have to be anywhere until 0830.

Hubby was running with twogees and so dad and him drove our car to the start. mom and I jumped in the transportation vans.

once at the start we stood by the fire pits for a little while.


Hubby and his race partner.


weather this morning was 32*. a little breeze, but over all…amazing running weather. I was dressed pretty perfectly.

this course is most definitely a fast course with it being mostly downhill and only 1 serious hill climb.

I lined up with 8:00/mile pace. I knew what I needed to run to get that new PR.

mile 1 was crowded….like always, but not too crowded.

mile 1: 7:49

mile 2 the crowd thinned out…and then my stupid shoe came untied. they never have come untied. you have got to be kidding!? I quickly tied it and let people pass (which pissed me off). once tied I took off and re-passed all the people that just passed me.

this is where the hill climb was. I knew I didn’t want to walk. just push through the hill. a lot of people walked up this. once I reached the top my thighs were on fire, but I knew the rest was downhill and once I flattened out they would recover. and they did.

mile 2: 7:35

mile 3…water station. I think more water went up my nose than down my throat. but I kept cruising. I felt really strong. I was enjoying my race. there was a small headwind but nothing too drastic…and it was enough to keep ya cooled off.

mile 3: 7:50

mile 4…was a big downhill push. its so hard to hold back on the downhills. at one point I looked at my pace. 06:51/mile…woah. where did that come from?

mile 4: 7:17

mile 5 was mostly flat on a heavily used highway. again the headwind. but no bother.

mile 5: 7:23

since about mile 4 I had been passing this girl and she would pass me back then I would pass her. after we hit the mile 5 sign she passed me again.  then she slowed up on the flat and I passed her….never saw her again.

mile 6 was through a residential area and on a park pathway. in the park there were some little kids cheering the runners on and banging on drums. that’s what I needed at that point. I caught a second wind and pushed through.

mile 6: 7:17

0.20…was a lap around the high school track. I looked at the finish clock at I entered the track….45 and some change. I’m thinking…”holy shit! I’m going to finish this thing with a sub 8 average!”

mile 0.20: 1:26…7:11 pace

my garmin time? 46:39 overall average of 7:32/mile. chock that one up to the big downhill course. I don’t know that I will ever beat that time. but I’m extremely happy.

Hubby, Dad and Mom all finished within their goal times. Dad was just mad that he didn’t do better.

we quickly climbed in the cars and headed on the road. again…more goofy puppy pictures.


“paybacks suck sister!” just wait until he’s full grown.


just watching the road.


sleepy twogwotee after 6 miles.

Currently staying the night in the old stomping grounds of craig, co (I graduated high school here.)

we have to make it home tomorrow…Hubby has some important stuff happening bright and early monday morning.


Post a Comment