Thursday, December 20, 2012

our christmas letter

every year my family always wrote a christmas letter and sent it out. when I moved out and got a husband I continued the tradition.

DSC_0953

our christmas picture.

Happy Halloween! Wait…its Christmas time already? I guess time really does fly by when you’re having fun. Aron would add in the air quotes… “fun,” if we’re talking my kind of fun.

This year has been filled with fun and “fun!”

We all started off the year happy and healthy (no knee surgeries like in years past…knock on wood). We became even healthier when I became a certified personal trainer in February. By March we were running half marathons! It seems to be a family tradition now that we visit Moab every year (at least once, this year it was 3 times) to run 13.1 miles. It’s just not as fun to run that far in Wyoming apparently. We all survived, and we’re all headed back in 2013 to do the same thing over! I started working as a personal trainer and am still employed with the gym today. I have slowly built my client base and it keeps me busy when I’m not working one of my other million jobs (right now I only have 1 other one; and no its not Maurices. It’s the shoe store in town. I have been very good and haven’t bought one of every shoe, yet. It’s the holidays, I’ve got gifts to buy, but after the first of the year I can’t promise there won’t be a few new pairs of shoes in my closet).

This summer brought on more adventure and “fun” than I think Aron was ready for. I was once again employed at the Forest Service, but this summer I was in charge of building a database that included road/stream crossings on the forest. Most of my time was spent in the office, but occasionally I did get to go play in the field. I was also fire girl on some days. Even got to IA (initial attack) a fire in early September. We rolled to the fire Wednesday around 3ish and I came home Thursday night. Before I could even get all the way in the door Aron says, “woah you’re dirty!” Well…what did you think I was doing when I told you I was going to a fire? Painting my nails and getting my hair done?!

In July we bought a house! Our very own place. Now we don’t have to worry about clearing it with our landlords about having another pet…not that we ever did in the first place, but we’ll keep that hush hush. It’s a very cute little 3 bedroom, 1.5 bath. Nice big yard for the dogs and a very quiet neighborhood. When we let the pups in the yard for the first time after the house was officially ours I felt like I could literally see their smiles! I had tears come to my eyes I was so happy they were happy. So now, even more reason to visit. We have plenty of room to sleep!

I finally convinced Aron to let me take him on a “fun” backpacking trip. We took a 3 day/2 night trip to Bomber Mountain in the Cloud Peak Wilderness. It was a 6 mile hike into base camp the first day. I may have forgot to mention to Aron how much “fun” it was going to be to hike uphill roughly 5.5 of those 6 miles. We made base camp with plenty of time to spare though. Mother Nature had it out for us and we weren’t able to summit Bomber and make it to see the bomber that is crashed on it (google Bomber Mountain and you can see the story. It’s really cool). We already have plans in the works for a trip in 2013, but this time 5 days and summit Bomber and Cloud Peak (highest peak in the Bighorns).

We have our rookie backpacking trip under our belts that didn’t end in divorce. Remember our honeymoon trip kayaking the Napali Coast? This was a walk in the park compared to that.

We were back in Moab in October and earlier this month again for more races, a half marathon and a 10k, respectively. Once again we all survived! I’m telling you…try running in Moab, it will be the most fun (or maybe “fun”) had by all. One of these trips we’re going to take longer than 3 days and spend some time backpacking around the National Parks. Aron has agreed to this “fun.”

Aron is still working his tail off in the Sheridan County Detention Center. This past summer he was back at the academy getting certified to become a FTO (Field Training Officer). He gets to train the new officers that are hired in the jail. He enjoys being able to teach and is really good at what he does. He tried his hand at bow hunting this fall and had his chance to shoot a nice bull elk, but was frozen in the moment. He did end up filling the freezer with a couple of deer (one with his bow even), so don’t worry about us starving this winter. Even if he hadn’t got any big game I think we would be okay with the amount of birds he brings home every couple days. He takes the dogs and off he goes. Occasionally I go with them. If Aron misses a bird, I don’t have to say anything; Jaggar usually does a pretty good job with “the look.” If he could talk he would say, “seriously dad? That bird was right in front of you. How do you miss that?” Jaggar and Twogwotee both work hard for Aron no matter the outcome.

Speaking of animals, we were given another horse. His name is Easy. He’s a big ole paint gelding. Super sweet boy. Very easy to ride. I’ve laid my claim to him, but Aron thinks he can use him for his roping horse…he usually asks my permission though. We also added a little feline friend for Remi. His name is Mopup (some days we call him Demon Kitty). He’s a little Siamese kitty with a black face, black ears and black paws…looks like he’s been mopping up a fire for days. Snuggling little bugger. Mopup and the pups get along great. Remi doesn’t care for Mopup one bit, so the whole “friend for Remi” idea totally back fired.

We can’t wait to see what 2013 brings (if we make it past December 21st …pesky Mayans)!

We hope this letter finds you healthy this holiday season. Wishing you the best for 2013!

Aron and Ashley
(and the rest of our little zoo of a family!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment