Monday, June 24, 2013

my first mountain run

we all have our bad runs. and today was a bad one.

I could name a variety of rules I broke that lead to it being more difficult.

1. I didn’t really fuel properly yesterday or this morning (I know I should know this one by now).
2. it was hot. I don’t typically do well in the heat.
3. there was about 4000 feet difference in elevation. I’m not 100% sure how much this really has to do with it though.

but. I got some miles on my legs at high elevations. so I guess I’m a happy camper.

we left cody this morning and made it to our camp spot by lunch time. we got the camper all set up and then I changed into running gear and headed out. I had a hope of doing 9-10 miles, but about mile 3 my mind changed….or should saw my ankle changed my mind for me.

I did a short out and back from the camper and then hubby joined me for the rest of the out and back the other way. the first whole mile was a pretty steady uphill. my legs were exhausted. they didn’t  really get a proper warm up. another rule broken I suppose.

hubby met me at the camper and we took off for what I thought would be another 3 out and then 3 back.


it was gorgeous day on the mountain. a slight mountain breeze but still plenty warm. I almost completely bagged my run because I didn’t have my baseball cap and after getting a sunburn on the forehead yesterday I didn’t want to get a second sunburn. luckily I found a headband in my bag and used hubby’s chapstick on my nose for sunscreen (we didn’t have any of that with us either).

all 3 dogs got to join us again!


hubby rode his bike and was my encourager when I starting doubting my abilities.


focused. determined. pissed off at my body.

we had to stop and let a car go by. my ankle was never actively hurting while I ran. just when I stopped and stood there. I thought if I could just at least get my scheduled 7 I would be happy. we made it out to the highway and I would have liked to keep going but that was our turn around point.


on the way back my spirits lifted. did I ever mention that chocolate dog is my runner? she was leading the pack the whole way.

we got back to the truck and I hit just under 7. I guess my body is just a little exhausted and it was telling me. I was happy to be done.

the nice thing about running in the mountains…..


everybody gets an ice bath. but holy canoly! it was cold. painfully cold.


I threw on my new compression socks and hopped in the camper for some chow.


hubby went off fishing and I laid down to rest and before I knew it he was sprinting back to the camper. he told me grab my camera and leave the dogs. and off into the woods we went. just downstream from out camp he spotted some moose.


in the top picture that is a yearling calf. in the bottom two you can see momma and her brand new calf.

pft….and we paid 25 bucks to go to yellowstone.

I don’t think I’ve ever been on the bighorns and not see a moose. you just have to know where to look.

before we knew it momma and baby were walking right through camp.


I just love baby wildlife. the calf was just bouncing around and having a great time enjoying the weather!

as we drove down the mountain we spotted another momma and calf and yearling moose. 6 total for the day!

we took a back road into town and saw plenty of baby white tail deer too! I just love the little babies. so freaking cute!

we’re off to bed. the work week begins for both of us tomorrow.


Post a Comment